Locally famous networker and recruiter, Matt Kerr, has a good way to measure your networking success in the job search process:
- One point for every personal referral obtained to a key contact, hiring manager or key decision maker
- Two points for every face to face appointment set with a key contact, hiring manager or key decision maker
- Three points for every actual meeting that occurs with a networking contact, search firm or key decision maker
- Four points for a bona fide job interview that came about because of the above networking effort
At the end of a job search week use this barometer to determine progress:
- 35-50 points – fire up that Blackberry, you will be back working 60 hours a week soon!
- 25-34 points - nice job; take the weekend off and hit it again on Monday morning.
- 10-24 points – don’t look for excuses, look in the mirror.
- Less than 10 points – uh oh there might be a lot of Judge Judy, Jerry Springer and Dr. Phil in your future.